Pear and double ginger cake
(at time of publication)
- 150g reduced-fat spread
- ½ cup soft brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup ground almonds
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups unpeeled, cored and chopped pears (about 3 pears)
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk or trim milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons crystalised ginger, chopped
- To serve
- 1 teaspoon icingfrostingX sugar for sifting
- 10 tablespoons reduced-fat Greek yoghurt, sprinkled with ground ginger (optional)
1 In a large bowl, combine spread and sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Slowly add eggs and almonds.
2 Carefully stir in remaining ingredients and beat well until combined.
3 Line slow cooker with non-stick baking paper. Pour cake mix into slow cooker and put the lid on (see tips). Bake for 3 hours on high or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
4 Switch slow cooker off and leave to cool for 15 minutes. Remove baking paper and cake and place on to a wire rack to cool.
5 Dust with icing sugar and serve warm with a dollop of ginger yoghurt.
- You can also use 6 canned pears, roughly chopped.
- This cake can also be baked in the oven. It will take 35-45 minutes at 180°C in a 20-22cm cake tin.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free self-raising flour and baking powder and check almond milk, icing sugar and ground ginger (if using) are gluten free.
- This cake needs to be made in a medium-sized slow cooker with a base of 20-22cm to ensure a good-sized round cake for cutting.
- Place a tea towel under the lid when baking — this stops the steam and water from dripping on to the top of the cake and making it soggy.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 13g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 2g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.