Apple and rhubarb crumble
(at time of publication)
- 4 pink lady or Braeburn apples, sliced
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon crystalised ginger, finely chopped, optional
- Crumble Topping
- ¾ cup plain flourall purpose flourX
- ¼ cup ground almonds
- 75g reduced-fat spread
- 3/4 cup soft brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted
- sprinkling of ground ginger or cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons low-fat Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
1 Preheat oven to 180ºC. In a pan, place apples with rhubarb, orange zest, juice, ½ cup water and ground ginger. Cover with a lid and bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until fruit is tender.
2 Spoon mixture into an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle over crystalised ginger, if using.
3 To make crumble, in a bowl, place flour and almonds. Rub in spread to make fine crumbs. Stir in sugar, nuts and ginger.
4 Sprinkle crumble topping over fruit and bake in the oven for 30 minutes until lightly crispy on the top. Serve with a tablespoon of yoghurt.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour and check ground spices and Greek yoghurt are gluten free.
More Crumble Recipes:
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 3g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.