(at time of publication)
- 1 whole size 12 chicken (1.2 kg), skin removed
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1 small lemon, sliced
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled, chopped
- 2 cups salt-reduced chicken stock*
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon cornflourcornstarchX*
- *NOTE: Ingredients with an asterisk (*) indicate that although this ingredient is usually gluten-free, it's wise to check the label to be sure as product ingredients can vary and formulations can change.
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Remove skin from chicken using scissors. Rinse the inside with cold water. Pat dry.
2 Fill with half the unpeeled garlic cloves, half the lemon slices and half the herbs.
3 Place chicken in a pot. Secure legs together with string or twine. Add vegetables, stock, wine and the remaining garlic, lemon and herbs.
4 Cover with a tight-fitting lid. Cook for 1 hour 20 minutes.
5 Once cooked, drain chicken to remove any excess oil. Thicken sauce a little with cornflour. To do this, mix cornflour with a little juice to form a paste then return to pan and stir through to thicken.
5 Serve chicken with vegetables. Garnish with fresh rosemary, if you prefer.
Old favourite: Roast chicken (per serve)
Ingredients: chicken, gravy, potatoes, vegetables
Total energy 3260kJ
Total fat 48g (17g saturated fat)
New favourite: Pot-roasted chicken (per serve)
Total energy 1700kJ
Total fat 16g (5g saturated fat)
Why it's better
- Cheaper – save $7.90
- Kids love it
- More flavours with added fresh herbs and lemon
- Skin removed reduces total and saturated fat, and kilojoules
- Takes less time – save 30 minutes
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 3g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us