Pot-roasted chickenReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 1 whole size 12 chicken (1.2 kg), skin removed
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1 small lemon, sliced
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled, chopped
- 2 cups salt-reduced chicken stock*
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon cornflourcornstarchX*
- *NOTE: Ingredients with an asterisk (*) indicate that although this ingredient is usually gluten-free, it's wise to check the label to be sure as product ingredients can vary and formulations can change.
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Remove skin from chicken using scissors. Rinse the inside with cold water. Pat dry.
2 Fill with half the unpeeled garlic cloves, half the lemon slices and half the herbs.
3 Place chicken in a pot. Secure legs together with string or twine. Add vegetables, stock, wine and the remaining garlic, lemon and herbs.
4 Cover with a tight-fitting lid. Cook for 1 hour 20 minutes.
5 Once cooked, drain chicken to remove any excess oil. Thicken sauce a little with cornflour. To do this, mix cornflour with a little juice to form a paste then return to pan and stir through to thicken.
5 Serve chicken with vegetables. Garnish with fresh rosemary, if you prefer.
Old favourite: Roast chicken (per serve)
Ingredients: chicken, gravy, potatoes, vegetables
Total energy 3260kJ
Total fat 48g (17g saturated fat)
New favourite: Pot-roasted chicken (per serve)
Total energy 1700kJ
Total fat 16g (5g saturated fat)
Why it's better
- Cheaper – save $7.90
- Kids love it
- More flavours with added fresh herbs and lemon
- Skin removed reduces total and saturated fat, and kilojoules
- Takes less time – save 30 minutes
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 3g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information