Salmon and corn fishcakes
(at time of publication)
- 2 teaspoons low-fat spread
- 250g salmon fillet (or 125g salmon and 125g white fish fillet)
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- ½ cup sweet corn sweetcornX(canned or frozen)
- ½ teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons trim milk
- 3 tablespoons plain flourall purpose flourX
- spray oil
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated or cut into ribbons
- 4 cups crispy lettuce, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- To serve
- 2 tablespoons tartare sauce
- lemon slices
1 Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender. Drain well and return to the pan on a low heat. Heat for another minute. Mash potato with low fat spread. Allow to cool.
2 Cook fish with spring onions in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes, or until fish is cooked through. Leave to stand for 5 minutes.
3 Mix fish and onions through potatoes with corn and mixed herbs, and season with pepper. Leave until cool enough to handle.
4 Form into even-sized cakes using damp hands.
5 Beat egg with milk and pour onto a plate. Place flour on another plate. Dip cakes in egg, then flour. Leave cakes to chill for 30 minutes to firm up (see tips). Meanwhile mix salad ingredients together. Season and chill.
6 When ready to serve, spray a non-stick pan with oil and heat until hot. Cook half the cakes at a time for 5 to 6 minutes, turning once. Serve with the salad, a slice of lemon and tartare sauce.
- A combination of different fish (fresh and canned) can be used for the fishcakes, provided you use 250g.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour and check mustard and tartare sauce are gluten free.
The fishcakes can be made the day before and kept chilled.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 26g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us