Seed and oat bread
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup flaxseeds (aka linseeds)
- ½ cup almonds, chopped
- 1 ½ cups rolled oatsoatmeal uncookedX
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 4 tablespoons psyllium husk
- 1 teaspoon flaky salt
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 Combine dry ingredients in a silicone loaf tin. Mix well with a fork to combine.
2 Add water and oil and mix until ingredients are well combined and dough is very thick. Let dough sit for at least 2 hours or overnight. Dough is ready when it is solid.
3 Preheat oven to 175°C. Bake loaf for 20 minutes then remove from tin and bake on oven rack for 30-40 minutes until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
4 Allow loaf to cool completely before slicing.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 13g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 8g
- Walnut and almond bread: Replace half the almonds with walnut halves or pieces.
- Gluten-free seed and nut bread: Replace oats with quinoa flakes.
- Fruit and nut bread: Leave out chia seeds and add 1 tablespoon each of sultanas, dried cranberries and finely chopped dates.
- Find psyllium husk in the baking aisle at the supermarket or in the bulk bins.
- When sliced very thinly this loaf is great as a cracker alternative. Cut slices in halves or thirds.
- This loaf freezes well. Slice then freeze individually-wrapped slices for quick toasting.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.