Tropical tofu bowl
- 1 cup medium grain brown rice
- 200ml light coconut milk
- 234g can pineapple chunks in juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely grated garlic
- spray oil
- 300g firm tofu, in 5mm slices
- 2 corn sweetcornXtortillas, sliced into strips
- 2 spring onions, very finely sliced
- 1 cup sweet corn sweetcornXkernels (fresh or canned and drained)
- 1 red capsicum, seeds removed and finely diced
- ½ cup each fresh mint and coriandercilantroX leaves, roughly chopped, plus extra to garnish
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 cup each shredded or ribboned red cabbage and carrot
- 2 cups watercress, large stalks removed
1 Rinse and drain rice well. In a saucepan, place rice, coconut milk and 200ml water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for approx 20 minutes, until most of the coconut milk is absorbed and rice is tender, but still a little sloppy. You can also cook in a rice cooker.
2 While rice is cooking, drain pineapple chunks over a large flat bowl, retaining liquid. Add ginger and garlic to juice and stir.
3 Spray a large pan with oil and set over a medium heat. Cook tofu until golden brown. Place cooked tofu in pineapple juice marinade and set aside. While the pan is still hot, place tortilla strips in and toast until browned and crunchy.
4 In a bowl, combine spring onion, corn, capsicum, herbs and lime juice and zest. Chop pineapple chunks into smaller pieces and add to salsa.
5 Divide rice among 4 large bowls. Top with cabbage, carrot, watercress, tofu and salsa, drizzle over remaining pineapple juice marinade, then garnish with extra herbs.
6 Drizzle with sriracha or shoyu sauce, if desired.
Make it gluten free: Check tofu, tortillas, sriracha and shoyu are gluten free.
Make it low FODMAP: Ensure canned pineapple is in juice, use the green tips only of the spring onion and omit the garlic
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 14g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like