Butterscotch self-saucing pudding
(at time of publication)
- 1 ¼ cups self-raising flour
- ½ cup brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX, firmly packed
- 150ml trim milk
- 1 egg
- 65g reduced-fat spread, melted
- ¼ cup golden syrupmaple syrup corn syrupX
- 300ml water, boiled
- icingfrostingX sugar, to dust
- low-fat vanilla yoghurt, to serve
1 Preheat oven to 170°C. Lightly grease a 1-litre capacity baking dish.
2 Sift flour into a large mixing bowl and add half the sugar. Stir to combine. Place milk, egg, spread and 1 tablespoon golden syrup in a jug. Whisk until well-combined.
3 Gradually whisk milk mixture into dry ingredients until well-combined and smooth. Pour batter into prepared dish and use the back of a spoon to smooth surface. Sprinkle remaining sugar evenly over batter.
4 Combine remaining golden syrup with water and stir until well-combined. Carefully pour mixture over pudding.
5 Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden and set. Remove pudding from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before dusting with icing sugar. Serve with a dollop of yoghurt.
What we did
- Replaced butter with reduced-fat spread.
- Used trim milk rather than full-fat milk.
- Cut down the amount of sugar in the recipe.
- Served pudding with low-fat vanilla yoghurt rather than cream or ice cream.
Traditional butterscotch pudding (per serve)
Total energy 1750kJ
Total fat 22g (14g saturated fat)
HFG butterscotch pudding (per serve)
Total energy per serve = 1170kJ
Total fat per serve (g) = 8g (1g saturated fat)
Try a new version of the basic butterscotch pudding recipe by adding one of the following ingredients after you’ve whisked the milk:
- Butterscotch and honeycomb: Stir through a crumbled 50g Crunchie bar.
- Butterscotch and ginger: Stir through 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallised ginger.
- Butterscotch and pecan: Stir through 1/4 cup chopped pecan nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 8g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us