Green tea and vanilla ice cream
(at time of publication)
- 3 tablespoons Japanese green tea powder (matcha)
- ⅓ cup skim milk
- Custard mix
- 1½ cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup reduced-fat Greek yoghurt or low-fat plain yoghurt
- fresh mint sprigs, to serve
- Mix the green tea with 1/3 cup trim milk. Set aside.
- Make the custard by heating 11/4 cups milk and the vanilla paste in a pan. Mix remaining milk with custard powder and sugar to make a paste.
- Pour the hot milk over the custard paste and return to the pan and cook, stirring until thickened. Leave to cool completely.
- Mix the cooled custard with the yoghurt and green tea. Pour into a freezer-proof container and freeze for 11/2 hours. Remove and mix the frozen parts with the non-frozen parts.
- Return to the freezer and freeze until soft frozen. Alternatively pour into an ice cream maker and process. Pour into a freezer-proof container and freeze until soft frozen.
- Serve with fresh mint sprigs.
Make it gluten free: Check custard powder is gluten free.
Find matcha in the Japanese section of Asian supermarkets.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 1g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 0g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.