Makeover mince ’n’ cheese pie
(at time of publication)
- spray oil
- 2 wholemeal tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 400g beef mince
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup peas
- 1 handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornflourcornstarchX
- 1 cup salt-reduced beef stock
- 80g reduced-fat cheddar cheese, cubed
- 3 sheets filo pastry
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a 24cm pie dish with oil and line with tortillas.
2 In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium. Add onion and garlic and fry until soft. Remove from pan and set aside.
3 To the same pan, add mince. Brown, stirring often. Put onion mix back in pan, along with mushrooms, peas and herbs. Continue to cook until just starting to colour.
4 Add mustard, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and season with black pepper to taste.
5 Add cornflour to stock and mix until dissolved. Pour this into the pan and stir into mince. Allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes. When the mixture has reduced but is still a little sloppy, pour into prepared pie dish. Dot cheese cubes through the mix.
6 Crinkle sheets of filo over the mix and spray with oil. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden.
What we did
- We ditched the traditional pastry and used tortillas and filo pastry instead, and we used a reduced-fat cheddar (Noble), overall slashing 16g sat fat per serve. This is despite using a third more cheese in our recipe.
- We upped the veges in our pies by slightly reducing the meat and adding mushrooms and other veges.
- We reduced the sodium by nearly 40 per cent by not adding salt, using reduced-salt stock and not using flaky pastry. Our sauces, herbs and veges add plenty of flavour.
|3100kj||1750kj||44% fewer kJ|
|23g||7g||70% less fat|
|1260mg||780mg||38% less sodium|
|200mg||270mg||35% more calcium|
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 17g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.