Makeover mince ’n’ cheese pie
(at time of publication)
- spray oil
- 2 wholemeal tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 400g beef mince
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup peas
- 1 handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornflourcornstarchX
- 1 cup salt-reduced beef stock
- 80g reduced-fat cheddar cheese, cubed
- 3 sheets filo pastry
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a 24cm pie dish with oil and line with tortillas.
2 In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium. Add onion and garlic and fry until soft. Remove from pan and set aside.
3 To the same pan, add mince. Brown, stirring often. Put onion mix back in pan, along with mushrooms, peas and herbs. Continue to cook until just starting to colour.
4 Add mustard, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and season with black pepper to taste.
5 Add cornflour to stock and mix until dissolved. Pour this into the pan and stir into mince. Allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes. When the mixture has reduced but is still a little sloppy, pour into prepared pie dish. Dot cheese cubes through the mix.
6 Crinkle sheets of filo over the mix and spray with oil. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 17g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 5g
What we did
- We ditched the traditional pastry and used tortillas and filo pastry instead, and we used a reduced-fat cheddar (Noble), overall slashing 16g sat fat per serve. This is despite using a third more cheese in our recipe.
- We upped the veges in our pies by slightly reducing the meat and adding mushrooms and other veges.
- We reduced the sodium by nearly 40 per cent by not adding salt, using reduced-salt stock and not using flaky pastry. Our sauces, herbs and veges add plenty of flavour.
|3100kj||1750kj||44% fewer kJ|
|23g||7g||70% less fat|
|1260mg||780mg||38% less sodium|
|200mg||270mg||35% more calcium|
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us