Makeover mince ’n’ cheese pie
- spray oil
- 2 wholemeal tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 400g beef mince
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup peas
- 1 handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornflourcornstarchX
- 1 cup salt-reduced beef stock
- 80g reduced-fat cheddar cheese, cubed
- 3 sheets filo pastry
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a 24cm pie dish with oil and line with tortillas.
2 In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium. Add onion and garlic and fry until soft. Remove from pan and set aside.
3 To the same pan, add mince. Brown, stirring often. Put onion mix back in pan, along with mushrooms, peas and herbs. Continue to cook until just starting to colour.
4 Add mustard, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and season with black pepper to taste.
5 Add cornflour to stock and mix until dissolved. Pour this into the pan and stir into mince. Allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes. When the mixture has reduced but is still a little sloppy, pour into prepared pie dish. Dot cheese cubes through the mix.
6 Crinkle sheets of filo over the mix and spray with oil. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden.
What we did
- We ditched the traditional pastry and used tortillas and filo pastry instead, and we used a reduced-fat cheddar (Noble), overall slashing 16g sat fat per serve. This is despite using a third more cheese in our recipe.
- We upped the veges in our pies by slightly reducing the meat and adding mushrooms and other veges.
- We reduced the sodium by nearly 40 per cent by not adding salt, using reduced-salt stock and not using flaky pastry. Our sauces, herbs and veges add plenty of flavour.
|3100kj||1750kj||44% fewer kJ|
|23g||7g||70% less fat|
|1260mg||780mg||38% less sodium|
|200mg||270mg||35% more calcium|
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 17g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
One comment on Makeover mince ’n’ cheese pie
Leave a Reply Click here to cancel reply.
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Wow! A yummy, tasty, healthy pie. Will make again : )