Capsicum and basil pasta saladReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 250g wholegrain penne pasta
- spray oil
- 2 large courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, cut in thin wedges
- 1 large red capsicum, thickly sliced
- 1 large yellow capsicum, thickly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅔ cup fresh basil, torn
- 50g baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted (optional)
1 Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add pasta and cook following packet directions or until al dente. Drain cooked pasta and refresh under cold running water. Drain again and transfer to a large bowl.
2 Meanwhile, spray a grill pan with oil and set pan over a medium-high heat. Grill courgettes for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Transfer to pasta bowl.
3 Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large deep frying pan set over a medium heat. Cook onion, capsicums and garlic, stirring, for 5-7 minutes or until soft. Add capers, sugar and red wine vinegar. Stir mixture and bring to the boil.
4 Add onion mixture, basil, spinach and remaining olive oil to pasta bowl. Sprinkle salad with pine nuts and serve.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information