Caraway rye bread
Time to make: 1 hr , plus 2 1/2 hrs proving
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 2 1/2 cups high-grade white flour, plus 2 tablespoons for kneading
- 1 cup wholemeal flour, plus 4 teaspoons for cooking
- 1 cup dark rye flour
- 8g instant dried yeast sachet
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- zest of 1 orange
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons molasses or black treaclemolassesX
Total fat 1g
Saturated fat 0g
Dietary fibre 2g
- In a large bowl, combine flours. Stir in yeast, salt, sugar and seeds.
- In another bowl, beat orange zest, juice, 1 1/4 cups warm water and molasses together. Add this to dry ingredients and combine.
- Bring mixture together using your hands to form into a dough. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface and knead for 8 to 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Return to bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Divide dough in half, shaping each into a ball. Use the palm of your hand to pat down to a round, about 2cm thick. Place loaves on lightly floured trays and leave to rise again for 45 to 60 minutes, or until 1 1/2 times their original size. Ten minutes before bread is ready, preheat oven to 180°C.
- Score loaves with a sharp knife and sprinkle with a little more flour. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely before slicing.
Serve with hummus, olives, cheese and gherkins, smoked salmon and reduced-fat cream cheese spread, or your favourite chutney.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
- (0 / 5)
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us