Vegan laksa with tofu, and carrot noodles
- 2 lemongrass stalks
- 600g firm tofu
- 8cm fresh ginger, grated
- bunch broccolini, ends and thicker stems trimmed and halved
- 2 teaspoon tamarind paste (check it’s vegan)
- 1¾ cups reduced-fat coconut milk
- 600g carrots, peeled into long, thin ‘noodles’ using a vegetable peeler or spiralizer
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds and 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped, to serve
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2–4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 very low-salt vegan vegetable stock cubes, dissolved in 1¾ cups boiling water (see tip)
1 Trim the lemongrass stalks, discarding the outer layer, and chop finely. Drain and rinse the tofu, pat dry with kitchen paper and cut into 2cm cubes.
2 Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, add the tofu and fry for 10 min, turning occasionally. Season with ground black pepper.
3 Meanwhile, put the remaining oil in a large pan set over a medium heat. Add the lemongrass, ginger and garlic and stir-fry for 2 min, then add the broccoli and stir-fry for a further 3 min. Add the tamarind paste, coconut milk, stock and carrot noodles. Bring to a simmer, cook for 5 min, then add the tofu cubes.
4 Spoon the laksa into 4 bowls. Scatter over the almonds and chillies to serve.
Make it gluten free: Check stock cubes are gluten free
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 32g
–Saturated fat 16g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like