Vegan laksa with tofu, and carrot noodles
Last updated date: 13 January 2021
- 2 lemongrass stalks
- 600g firm tofu
- 8cm fresh ginger, grated
- bunch broccolini, ends and thicker stems trimmed and halved
- 2 teaspoon tamarind paste (check it’s vegan)
- 1¾ cups reduced-fat coconut milk
- 600g carrots, peeled into long, thin ‘noodles’ using a vegetable peeler or spiralizer
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds and 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped, to serve
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2–4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 very low-salt vegan vegetable stock cubes, dissolved in 1¾ cups boiling water (see tip)
1 Trim the lemongrass stalks, discarding the outer layer, and chop finely. Drain and rinse the tofu, pat dry with kitchen paper and cut into 2cm cubes.
2 Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, add the tofu and fry for 10 min, turning occasionally. Season with ground black pepper.
3 Meanwhile, put the remaining oil in a large pan set over a medium heat. Add the lemongrass, ginger and garlic and stir-fry for 2 min, then add the broccoli and stir-fry for a further 3 min. Add the tamarind paste, coconut milk, stock and carrot noodles. Bring to a simmer, cook for 5 min, then add the tofu cubes.
4 Spoon the laksa into 4 bowls. Scatter over the almonds and chillies to serve.
Make it gluten free: Check stock cubes are gluten free
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 32g
–Saturated fat 16g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.