Caraway rye bread
(at time of publication)
- 2 ½ cups high-grade white flour, plus 2 tablespoons for kneading
- 1 cup wholemeal flour, plus 4 teaspoons for cooking
- 1 cup dark rye flour
- 8g instant dried yeast sachet
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- zest of 1 orange
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons molasses or black treaclemolassesX
- In a large bowl, combine flours. Stir in yeast, salt, sugar and seeds.
- In another bowl, beat orange zest, juice, 1 1/4 cups warm water and molasses together. Add this to dry ingredients and combine.
- Bring mixture together using your hands to form into a dough. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface and knead for 8 to 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Return to bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Divide dough in half, shaping each into a ball. Use the palm of your hand to pat down to a round, about 2cm thick. Place loaves on lightly floured trays and leave to rise again for 45 to 60 minutes, or until 1 1/2 times their original size. Ten minutes before bread is ready, preheat oven to 180°C.
- Score loaves with a sharp knife and sprinkle with a little more flour. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely before slicing.
Serve with hummus, olives, cheese and gherkins, smoked salmon and reduced-fat cream cheese spread, or your favourite chutney.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 1g
–Saturated fat 0g
Dietary fibre 2g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.