Chicken and cashew chow mein
- 375g pack dried thin noodles
- ¼ cup liquid salt-reduced chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- spray oil, to grease
- 400g chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, cut in thin wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 2 red capsicums, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 150g snow peas, trimmed, sliced
- ¼ cup roasted cashews, chopped
1 Cook noodles following packet directions and drain. Set aside. Combine stock, soy sauce and rice wine. Set aside.
2 Spray a large wok with oil and place over a high heat. Stir-fry chicken in batches for 3-5 minutes until golden and cooked through. Remove from wok and set aside.
3 Return wok to high heat and spray with a little more oil. Add onion and garlic. Stir-fry for 2 minutes until golden. Add sprouts, capsicums and snow peas. Stir-fry for 3 more minutes. Add cooked noodles, chicken and rice wine sauce. Heat through and toss to coat all ingredients. Garnish with cashews before serving.
- Make it vegetarian: Replace chicken with 400g firm tofu cut in 2cm cubes.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free varieties of noodles, chicken stock and soy sauce.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like