Sweet and sour chicken with chia rice
(at time of publication)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons reduced-salt soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ⅓ cup water
- oil spray
- 450g lean chicken breast, cubed
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 4 small portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 capsicums (1 red, 1 green), sliced
- 1 bunch bok choy, shredded
- ⅓ cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 2 x 250g SunRice Rice & Chia instant rice sachets, to serve
- 35g unsalted cashew nuts, crushed, to serve
1 In a small bowl combine all sauce ingredients. Set aside.
2 Heat a non-stick pan with oil spray until hot. Cook chicken for 3–4 minutes, or until browned.
3 Add veges and stock to chicken. Stir fry for 2–3 minutes. Pour sauce over and cook for 3–4 minutes, tossing to coat ingredients evenly.
4 Heat rice according to packet instructions. Serve with sweet and sour chicken, sprinkled with cashews.
Make it gluten free: Check tomato sauce, soy sauce and stock are gluten free
You may want to thicken the sauce at the end of cooking with 2 teaspoons of cornflour (gluten free is necessary) mixed with a little water. Stir into hot sauce and cook for 1 minute.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 20g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information