Sweet and sour chicken with chia rice
(at time of publication)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons reduced-salt soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ⅓ cup water
- oil spray
- 450g lean chicken breast, cubed
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 4 small portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 capsicums (1 red, 1 green), sliced
- 1 bunch bok choy, shredded
- ⅓ cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 2 x 250g SunRice Rice & Chia instant rice sachets, to serve
- 35g unsalted cashew nuts, crushed, to serve
1 In a small bowl combine all sauce ingredients. Set aside.
2 Heat a non-stick pan with oil spray until hot. Cook chicken for 3–4 minutes, or until browned.
3 Add veges and stock to chicken. Stir fry for 2–3 minutes. Pour sauce over and cook for 3–4 minutes, tossing to coat ingredients evenly.
4 Heat rice according to packet instructions. Serve with sweet and sour chicken, sprinkled with cashews.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 20g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 11g
Make it gluten free: Check tomato sauce, soy sauce and stock are gluten free
You may want to thicken the sauce at the end of cooking with 2 teaspoons of cornflour (gluten free is necessary) mixed with a little water. Stir into hot sauce and cook for 1 minute.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us