Chicken, pork and bean cassouletReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pork sausages (skins removed), chopped into 3cm pieces
- 400g skinless chicken thigh fillets, cut into thick slices
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 300ml reduced-salt chicken stock
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- fresh thyme sprigs, chopped
- 2 x 420g cans no-added-salt cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 tablespoons wholemeal breadcrumbs, toasted
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
1 Heat half the olive oil in a large flameproof casserole dish (which has a lid) over medium heat on the stovetop. Add sausages; cook for 5—7 minutes or until golden. Add chicken; cook for 5 minutes or until lightly coloured. Transfer meats to a plate and set aside.
2 Preheat oven to 180°C. Reduce heat to low. Add remaining olive oil to dish. Add onion, carrot and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, or until vegetables start to caramelise.
3 Return reserved meats to dish with garlic, stock, tomatoes and thyme. Cover dish, transfer stew to oven and cook for 20 minutes.
4 Uncover dish, stir in beans and return to oven for 40 minutes, or until cassoulet is bubbling.
5 Scatter breadcrumbs and pumpkin seeds over cassoulet and serve.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free breadcrumbs and check sausages and stock are gluten free.
Here’s why OUR cassoulet is healthier
- Traditional cassoulet is full of fatty meats like bacon, sausage and chicken drumsticks. This recipe uses skinless chicken thigh fillets and sausages with less than 15% fat to cut the saturated fat by a whopping 70 per cent!
- Reduced-salt chicken stock, no-added-salt canned tomatoes and less salty meat slash the sodium content by 50 per cent, while fresh herbs and garlic add aroma and flavour.
- Adding extra veges to the mix and crunchy seeds to the topping lifts your fibre intake to around 50 per cent of your daily target.
- Fibre-rich beans make this stew super-satisfying, allowing you to cut not only the amount of meat, but also the cost!
- Our changes cut 1700kJ per serve!
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 22g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 13g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information