Chicken, tomato and olive casserole
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
4 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups Ceres Organics Sorghum
Dot’s Cooking Oil Spray
500g Waitoa Free Range Skinless Chicken Thighs, cut in 3cm cubes
1 onion, thinly sliced
80g rindless eye bacon, diced
2 sticks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
1/3 cup (80ml) white wine
400g can Delmaine Crushed Tomatoes
1/2 cup water
handful Palmers Fresh Rosemary
1/3 cup (50g) Delmaine Pitted Kalamata Olives, halved
2 cups green beans, topped and tailed
Countdown Select Black Pepper
Palmers Fresh Parsley, to garnish
Total fat 18g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 9g
- Boil water in kettle then pour into a large pot. Add sorghum then cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and grain has plumped up, about 50 minutes. It should be tender with a pleasant bite.
- Heat a large pan over a high heat and spray with oil. Cook chicken, in batches, for 2 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan.
- Spray pan again with oil and add onion, bacon and celery. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add wine and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, water, rosemary, olives and chicken to pan. Stir to combine then bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add beans and cook for 5 minutes. Season to taste with a generous amount of black pepper. Add a little water if necessary so it’s nice and saucy – sorghum appreciates a saucy dish.
- Serve chicken with sorghum, garnished with fresh parsley.
Make it gluten free: Check bacon is gluten free.
This recipe is proudly sponsored by Mastercraft, Countdown, Ceres Organics, Delmaine, DēLonghi, Dot’s, Palmers and Waitoa.