Time to make: 25 mins
(at time of publication)
- 65g reduced-fat spread
- 2 tablespoons wholemeal or white breadcrumbs
- 40g flour
- 1 orange, grated rind and juice
- 1 lemon, grated rind
- juice of ½ lemon
- 200ml trim milk
- 125g castor sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- icingfrostingX sugar, to dust
- orange zest, to decorate
1 Melt 15g spread and use to grease 8 x 225ml ramekins. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the base and sides of each dish. Tilt dish to coat evenly. Set aside. Preheat oven to 190°C.
2 Melt remaining spread in a non-stick pan. Add flour, orange and lemon rind, and cook for 30 seconds.
3 Remove from heat and gradually whisk in milk. Return to a low heat and cook, stirring continuously, until mixture is thickened and smooth. Continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
4 Remove from heat and cool slightly. Stir to beat in sugar, orange and lemon juice, and egg yolks.
5 Whisk egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff. Carefully fold yolk mixture into whites a quarter at a time, until evenly blended and egg whites still hold their shape. Stir mixture for a few minutes to blend ingredients and to cool mixture slightly. Divide mixture among prepared ramekins. Bake for 25-30 minutes until risen and golden brown. Dust with icing sugar and sprinkle with orange zest. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 0g
- Add 2 tablespoons of liqueur with fruit juice.
- Replace lemon with another orange.
- Make sure the kitchen is draft-free.
- Accurate measuring is essential for successful results every time.
- Begin whisking the whites with electric beaters on a low speed, then increase to a medium speed, then to a high speed. This will ensure maximum volume.
- When folding in the whites, do so carefully so their volume is retained as much as possible.
- Do not rush folding in the egg whites, and use a large metal spoon.
- Preheating the oven is essential. Place soufflé in the centre of the oven.
- Make sure you don’t open the door during cooking as the soufflé will deflate.
- To get the most volume from your egg whites, place them in a grease-free bowl and allow them to come to room temperature before beating.
- Be ready to serve soufflé immediately for the wow factor with your guests!
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.