Freezer-friendly bolognese sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 tablespoon fresh leaves)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 1 cup diced courgette
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped silver beet leaves
- 290g can tomato puree
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups water
1 Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and celery; cook for 2 minutes.
2 Add mince, and stir to break up. Cook for a further 4—5 minutes.
3 Add herbs, salt and pepper and vegetables. Cook for 8—10 minutes until vegetables soften.
4 Add puree, tomatoes and water and stir. Reduce heat and leave to simmer for 30—40 minutes. Place cooled bolognese sauce portions in the freezer, or use to make Freezer-friendly lasagne.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 4g
- To make this sauce into a nacho mix, omit oregano and add a can of red kidney beans.
- Make it gluten free: Check tomato purée is gluten free.
Freeze sauce portions flat for quick reheating, and always label and date them to avoid later confusion.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us