Freezer-friendly bolognese sauceReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 tablespoon fresh leaves)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 1 cup diced courgette
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped silver beet leaves
- 290g can tomato puree
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups water
1 Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and celery; cook for 2 minutes.
2 Add mince, and stir to break up. Cook for a further 4—5 minutes.
3 Add herbs, salt and pepper and vegetables. Cook for 8—10 minutes until vegetables soften.
4 Add puree, tomatoes and water and stir. Reduce heat and leave to simmer for 30—40 minutes. Place cooled bolognese sauce portions in the freezer, or use to make Freezer-friendly lasagne.
- To make this sauce into a nacho mix, omit oregano and add a can of red kidney beans.
- Make it gluten free: Check tomato purée is gluten free.
Freeze sauce portions flat for quick reheating, and always label and date them to avoid later confusion.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 4g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.