HFG blueberry muffins
Time to make: 30 mins
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 1/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 cups unprocessed bran
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup blueberries, frozen or fresh
- 2 small bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup trim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat spread, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Total fat 2.5g
Saturated fat 0.5g
Dietary fibre 3.6g
1 Preheat oven to 190°C. Lightly oil muffin tins.
2 Place sifted flour, bran, salt, cinnamon, sugar, blueberries and mashed banana into a bowl.
3 In a separate bowl or jug, mix together the milk, baking soda, egg, vanilla and melted spread; add to the other ingredients and mix until just combined.
4 Spoon batter into muffin tins; place in oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Double the quantity and freeze: If you plan to use the muffins for school lunches, wrap each muffin individually in plastic wrap before freezing for easy transfer from freezer to lunch box.
- Make mini muffins: Sometimes you feel like a sweet treat with a cup of tea or coffee but just want something small; a mini muffin is ideal for this. They’re also great for small children, or in school lunch boxes. This recipe will make around 36 mini muffins.
- Use different berries: Raspberries, blackberries or boysenberries work well.
- Add some nuts or seeds: Nuts provide delicious flavour and texture to muffins as well as useful fats and protein. Walnuts, pecans, almonds or sunflower seeds combine well with berries.
- Be careful not to over-mix: Mix only until the ingredients are just combined, as over-mixing produces tough, dry muffins. Tunnels visible when the muffins are cut in half are a sign that the batter has been over-mixed.
- Store over-ripe bananas in the freezer: When bananas start to go black or are too ripe for general eating, peel and pop them whole in the freezer. Bananas at this stage are perfect for baking. Simply defrost and use in baking as required.
Rate this recipe
1 People Rated This Recipe
- (5 / 5)