Kumara and peanut butter doggy treats
Time to make: 45 mins
( Hands-on time: 20 mins )
(at time of publication)
- You will need
- cookie cutter, such as a bone shape, dog shape or a round fluted one
- 2 baking trays
- baking paper
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- ¼ cup rolled oatsoatmeal uncookedX
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- ⅓ cup cooked mashed orange kumarasweet-potatoX
- 3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper and set to one side.
- In a bowl place flour, oats and parsley. Stir together to mix ingredients evenly.
- Add kumara, peanut butter and egg and mix thoroughly. Slowly add water to make a firm dough. Knead with your hands for a few minutes to make a smooth dough.
- Place dough between 2 pieces of baking paper. Using a rolling pin, roll out to about 1/2cm thick.
- Peel back top piece of baking paper and use cutter to cut out cookies. Reroll remaining dough and cut out more cookies. Slide a knife under each shape to loosen it from the paper and then place on prepared baking trays. Repeat until all dough is used up.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cookies are firm and golden brown. Cool completely before placing in a container and sealing.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
No nutrition information available for this recipe.
You can replace mashed kumara with 1 small mashed ripe banana, but you won’t have to add any water to the mixture.
These cookies can be kept for 7 days.
Foods to never feed your dog
- spices such as curry, paprika or cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- butter and dairy foods
Only use a very small amount of oil if cooking meat.
If feeding leftovers, be mindful of what they contain – do they have butter or salt in them? If so, don’t use them.
A wide range of vegetables can be fed to your dog, whether fresh or frozen, such as peas, carrots, potatoes, kumara, broccoli, green beans, pumpkin and spinach. If choosing canned vegetables, check they contain no salt.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.