Pumpkin, spinach and feta cakes
- 250g pumpkin, peeled, cubed
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup trim milk
- 125g frozen spinach, thawed
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
1 Place pumpkin in a small bowl or roasting bag and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes (stirring after 2 minutes), or until tender. Mash roughly then set aside.
2 Break eggs into a medium-sized bowl then add milk, spinach and feta. Add mashed pumpkin and stir until well mixed. Sprinkle in flour and spices. Season with salt and pepper (note that feta is quite salty) then gently fold together until ingredients are just combined.
3 Heat half the oil in a large non-stick pan. Drop serving spoon-sized batter into pan, leaving room between each cake to allow easier turning. Cook each side over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. Arrange cooked cakes on a double layer of paper towels. Keep cakes warm while cooking remaining batter in batches.
4 Serve with rice and 1-2 salads. A little sweet chilli sauce for dipping works well, too.
|*Make it gluten-free|
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 18g
Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 3g
- Make it gluten free: use gluten-free self-raising flour and curry powder.
- We think the flavours are tasty enough that no sauce is required, but if you want, you could serve them with yoghurt-based raita, sweet chilli sauce, or even tomato sauce.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us