Ricotta and capsicum-stuffed chickenReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 900g kumarasweet-potatoX, peeled, cut in 2cm chunks
- spray oil
- 250g light ricotta cheese
- 150g chargrilled capsicums, not in oil, finely chopped
- 100g pitted green olives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 6 x 150g boneless skinless chicken breast fillets
- ¼ cup basil pesto, to serve
- 6 cups cooked greens (eg. beans, broccoli)
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place kumara on tray and spray with oil. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
2 Meanwhile, combine ricotta, capsicum, olives and basil in a small bowl. Season with ground black pepper. Slice a deep pocket into each chicken breast, being careful not to cut all the way through. Stuff each pocket with ricotta mixture and secure with a toothpick.
3 Spray a large, non-stick frying pan with oil and place over a high heat. Cook chicken for 2 minutes each side or until golden brown. Transfer chicken onto a large baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through.
4 Divide chicken and kumara among 4 serving plates and 2 lunchboxes. Dollop some pesto on chicken and serve with veges.
NOTE: Nutrition information, time to make and costings apply to main dinner recipe only.
Lunch tomorrow: Chicken, kumara and pesto salad
Cost per serve: $1.76
Time to make: 5 minutes
2 serves leftover Ricotta and capsicum-stuffed chicken
2 cups salad greens
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Step 1 Warm chicken in microwave for 1 minute before slicing. Slice chicken in 1cm-thick slices. Toss with leftover kumara, cooked veges and salad greens.
Step 2 Whisk together pesto and lemon juice. Drizzle salad with pesto dressing.
Tip: If you want a hot lunch, warm the rest of the salad for 1 minute. You can also add your favourite balsamic dressing.
Make it gluten free: Check store-bought basil pesto is gluten free.
- Diabetes friendly, high fibre, low cost
- 2130kJ/508cal, 44g protein, 16g total fat, 4g sat fat, 45g carbs, 13g sugars, 9g fibre, 560mg sodium, 240mg calcium, 3mg iron
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information