Spicy pork and eggplant
- 5 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 spring onion
- 200g pork mince
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small eggplantaubergineX, cut in 2cm cubes
- ½ cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons reduced-salt soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 5cm piece ginger, sliced roughly
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups prepared coleslaw mix (omit dressing)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1½ cups cooked brown rice, warmed
- chilli flakes or fresh chilli, to garnish (optional)
1 In a pan, heat 2 teaspoons of the sesame oil over medium-high. Add spring onion, pork and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add eggplant, stock, soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce, ginger and 1 cup water and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes, until eggplant is soft and collapsing.
2 Add baby spinach and combine well, stirring until wilted. Remove from heat. In a bowl, combine remaining sesame oil and lemon juice then stir through coleslaw.
3 Serve pork with warmed rice and slaw. Garnish with chilli flakes or fresh chilli, if desired.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 22g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 11g
Make it gluten free: Check soy sauce, stock and chilli sauce are gluten free.
Make it vegan: Substitute pork mince with TVP or ‘No Meat Mince’ and use Massel vegan stock.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.