South Indian prawn and coconut curry
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, chopped
- 2 long green chillies, chopped, plus extra sliced chilli, to serve
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sunflower oil
- 3 potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 2 large carrots, cut into rounds
- ½ cup reduced-fat coconut milk
- 500g raw prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1 large courgette, halved, thinly sliced
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups steamed brown basmati rice, to serve
1 In a food processor, blitz onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, turmeric and cumin into a paste.
2 In a large heavy-based saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes, or until fragrant. Add potatoes, carrots and 1 cup of water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, or until potato is tender.
3 Add coconut milk, prawns and courgette and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, or until prawns are cooked through. Stir through spinach until just wilted. Serve with steamed rice and garnish with extra green chilli.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 7g
Make it low FODMAP: Swap red onion for 1 cup finely chopped green leek leaves. Omit garlic and add a drizzle of garlic-infused oil instead.
Make it gluten free: Check spices are gluten free.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us