Sweet ‘n’ spicy chicken and vege skewers with rice
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 8 wooden or metal skewers (see tip)
- 2 corn sweetcornXcobs, husks and silks removed
- 300g chicken breast fillets, chopped into 2cm cubes
- 1 large red capsicum, 2cm cubed
- 1 medium red onion, 2cm cubed
- 1/4 pineapple, 2cm cubed
- 1/2 cup tomato purée
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 2 x 250g packets microwaveable brown and red rice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 cups mixed salad leaves, to serve
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette (made with 1 part olive oil to 2 parts balsamic vinegar)
Total fat 9g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 9g
- Heat a barbecue hotplate (or grill pan) to medium-high. Grill corn, turning, for 8-10 minutes, or until charred and tender.
- Meanwhile, alternately thread chicken, capsicum, onion and pineapple on the skewers.
- In a small pan over a medium heat, combine tomato purée, sauces, vinegar and sugar. Stir to dissolve sugar.
- Reheat the barbecue hotplate to medium-high. Grill skewers for 3–4 minutes each side, or until browned and cooked through, basting with half the sauce while cooking.
- Meanwhile, remove corn kernels from cobs using a sharp knife. Heat rice according to packet instructions. Transfer the rice to a medium bowl. Stir in corn kernels and parsley.
- Boil remaining basting sauce for 30 seconds then remove from heat and drizzle over skewers. Serve skewers with corn rice and mixed salad leaves drizzled with vinaigrette.
Make it gluten free: Check tomato purée, soy sauce and hot chilli sauce are gluten free.
Soaking wooden skewers in water before using prevents them from scorching.
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
- (0 / 5)
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us