Looking for a healthy, time-saving breakfast?
Zip up these delicious, high-fibre combos and pop them in the freezer so they’re ready to blend on busy mornings.
The two-minute breakfast
If you have a blender, this is the perfect way to ensure you have a healthy breakfast-to-go all week long. By placing the ingredients of your favourite smoothie into individual bags and putting them in the freezer, all you need to do on weekday mornings is pour a bag into the blender with your favourite liquid and blitz.
It’s also a handy way to make the most of whatever fruit and/or veges happen to be in season.
- Use sandwich-sized zip-lock bags to freeze the perfect portion for an individual smoothie.
- Chop fruit into even-sized chunks and grate harder veges, such as carrot or beetroot.
- Squeeze as much air out of each bag as possible to prevent frost from forming inside.
- Mark freezer bags with the date you packed them.
- Store bags flat in the freezer for up to about one month.
Three steps to perfect smoothies
- Place frozen contents of smoothie bag in blender.
- Add water or milk or non-dairy alternative.
- Blend well.
Want to try your hand at creating your own?
- Use avocado to add creaminess to green smoothies (and you won’t even taste it!).
- Add natural sweetness with overripe bananas or medjool dates.
- Use ginger, spices and herbs to add flavour and healthy antioxidants. Start with a modest pinch and adjust to taste.
- For extra sustenance add rolled oats, chia seeds or LSA mix.
- For a vege blend add greens, such as kale or spinach.