Simple chicken biryani
Last updated date: 17 August 2020
(at time of publication)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced (optional)
- 600g skinless chicken breast or thigh, cubed
- 1 tablespoon oil (you may need to use 2 more teaspoons oil)
- 2 tablespoons Korma (or mild) curry paste (I used Patak’s)
- 400g can tomatoes, chopped
- 250ml chicken stock (I use a reduced-salt variety)
- 115g frozen peas
- 200g basmati rice
- turmeric for sprinkling
- fresh coriandercilantroX sprigs
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Prepare all the vegetables before you begin cooking.
2 Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and cook the onion and garlic until softened but not browned. Add the cubed chicken and cook until it has lost its pinky colour. Stir in the curry paste, tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cover with a lid. Cook for 30 minutes.
3 Add the potato and carrot and cook for a further 20 minutes, adding a little more stock if necessary (the chicken should be tender at the end of this cooking time).
4 Meanwhile, cook the rice with a sprinkling of turmeric until tender. Drain and place in a serving dish. Spoon the curry onto the rice and stir through. Serve with a sprig of coriander.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10.8g
–Saturated fat 2.1g
Dietary fibre 4.5g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.