Chocolate energy balls
- ½ cup prunes
- ½ cup dried apricots
- ¼ cup almonds
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons granulated sweetener (we used Natvia)
- ¼ cup gluten-free porridgeoatmeal, cookedX oatsoatmeal uncookedX
- 3 tablespoons desiccated coconut (reserve a little to decorate)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (20g) (reserve a little to decorate)
- grated zest of 1 orange (reserve a little to decorate)
- juice of half an orange
1 Blend the prunes, apricots, almonds and walnuts in the food processor until they form a paste.
2 Add the remaining ingredients, reserving a little of the desiccated coconut, cocoa powder and orange zest for decoration, and blend again to form a thick, sticky paste. Don’t over-blend, as the mixture should be quite coarse.
3 Roll the mixture into a sausage shape and cut into 16 pieces, then roll each piece into a ball.
4 Roll 4 of the balls in cocoa powder, 4 in coconut and 4 in orange zest to decorate and store in an airtight container in the fridge, where they will keep for a week.
You could add other nuts or dried fruits to the recipe, or try making the balls with sunflower, sesame or pumpkin seeds instead of nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 3.6g
–Saturated fat 1.1g
Dietary fibre 2.1g
Last updated date: 11 January 2021
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information