Vegan mac ‘n’ cheese
- 250g mixed tomatoes, halved or thickly sliced
- 400g spirali or macaroni pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- nutmeg, grated
- pinch chilli flakes (optional)
- 3 tablespoons plain flourall purpose flourX
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 very low salt vegetable stock cube dissolved in 1/2 cup boiling water
- 5 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 100g vegan cheese alternative, grated
- fresh basil leaves, to garnish
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Heat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper and add the tomatoes (cut side up if halved), then roast for 15 min.
2 Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the pack instructions until al dente, then drain well.
3 Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion and garlic and cook over a medium heat for 5 min. Add the mustard, nutmeg, chilli, if using (or lots of freshly ground black pepper, if you prefer), and flour. Mix well. Gradually whisk in the almond milk until smooth, then whisk in the stock and yeast flakes.
4 Tip the pasta into a 2–2.5 litre ovenproof dish, and pour over the sauce. Scatter with half the cheese alternative and mix well. Remove the tomatoes from the oven and lay them on top. Add the remaining cheese, then bake for 15 min until golden and bubbling.
Garnish with basil and serve with a big green salad or green veg (see VARIATIONS below).
Just add greens…
80g green salad (no dressing) ADD 63kJ
80g wilted greens ADD 84kJ
80g green peas ADD 272kJ
80g broccoli ADD 113Kj
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 3.8g
Dietary fibre 5.6g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
Almond milk recipes
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.