Easy fish chowder
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 100g lean bacon, cut in 1cm squares
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cut in 1cm cubes
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 2 ½ cups skim milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 500g fish fillets, cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or ½–1 teaspoon dried dill (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornflourcornstarchX
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh dill or parsley, to garnish
1 Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion and cook until onion softens. Add bacon, celery, potatoes and carrot. Cook, stirring frequently to prevent browning, for about 5 minutes.
2 Add 2 cups milk and garlic salt. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until potato is just tender. Add fish and dill (if using).
3 Mix remaining milk with cornflour and add to pot. Bring chowder to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
4 Season to taste with salt and pepper then ladle into large bowls. Garnish with dill.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free varieties of bacon, garlic salt and cornflour.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 8g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 0g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.