Easy fish chowder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 100g lean bacon, cut in 1cm squares
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cut in 1cm cubes
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 2 ½ cups trim milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 500g fish fillets, cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or ½–1 teaspoon dried dill (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornflourcornstarchX
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh dill or parsley, to garnish
1 Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion and cook until onion softens. Add bacon, celery, potatoes and carrot. Cook, stirring frequently to prevent browning, for about 5 minutes.
2 Add 2 cups milk and garlic salt. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until potato is just tender. Add fish and dill (if using).
3 Mix remaining milk with cornflour and add to pot. Bring chowder to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
4 Season to taste with salt and pepper then ladle into large bowls. Garnish with dill.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 8g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 0g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free varieties of bacon, garlic salt and cornflour.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us