Freeform filo fish pies
Time to make: 1 hr
( Hands-on time: 30 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup corn sweetcornXkernels
- 200g free-flow spinach, defrosted
- 2 x 210g cans pink salmon
- 2 eggs, hardboiled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons low-fat yoghurt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- spray oil
- Mixed vege mash and kale
- 3 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, grated
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 900g potatoes, mashed
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat spread
- 1 tablespoon Mediterranean paste
- 6 cups kale, steamed
Total fat 17g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 6g
1 Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Preheat oven to 190°C. Cook onion, garlic and mushrooms with oil until softened. Stir in herbs and paste. Cook for a few minutes more.
2 Add corn, spinach, salmon and egg to pan. Heat for a few minutes. Mix yoghurt and mayonnaise together and add to pie filling. Season.
3 Take 4 sheets of filo pastry and place on a board. Cut into 3 even sized rectangles, keeping sheets together. Lay on a baking tray. Place a sixth of the mixture in the middle of each rectangle. Bring in the sides of the pastry to enclose the filling. Scrunch the edges together where they meet in the centre. Spray with oil. Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling.
4 Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile prepare the mash by mixing all the ingredients together, except the kale, and warming in a pan. Pan-fry the kale. Serve pie with the mash and kale.
For step-by-step instructions (and pictures) on how to use filo pastry, see our feature I filo good!