Gravy for roast meatsReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 2 tablespoons oil from roast meat
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ¾ cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or thyme
- 1 ½ cups reduced-salt chicken stock, heated
- 2 tablespoons cornflourcornstarchX
- 1 cup vegetable cooking water (use water from cooking green vegetables — it has more flavour), or separated juices from roast meat
- freshly ground black pepper
1 Place oil in a non-stick pan and heat. Cook onion and mushrooms, with the parsley or thyme, until softened.
2 Add 1/4 cup stock and cook for a further 5 minutes.
3 Mix cornflour with 1/2 cup of the remaining stock to form a smooth sauce. Add to the pan with the remaining stock and vegetable water or meat juices.
4 Bring to the boil, stirring all the time, until thickened. Season with pepper.
Serve over roast meat and roast vegetables.
Make it gluten free: Check stock and cornflour are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 3g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information