Gravy for roast meats
- 2 tablespoons oil from roast meat
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ¾ cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or thyme
- 1 ½ cups reduced-salt chicken stock, heated
- 2 tablespoons cornflourcornstarchX
- 1 cup vegetable cooking water (use water from cooking green vegetables — it has more flavour), or separated juices from roast meat
- freshly ground black pepper
1 Place oil in a non-stick pan and heat. Cook onion and mushrooms, with the parsley or thyme, until softened.
2 Add 1/4 cup stock and cook for a further 5 minutes.
3 Mix cornflour with 1/2 cup of the remaining stock to form a smooth sauce. Add to the pan with the remaining stock and vegetable water or meat juices.
4 Bring to the boil, stirring all the time, until thickened. Season with pepper.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 3g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
Serve over roast meat and roast vegetables.
Make it gluten free: Check stock and cornflour are gluten free.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us