Gumbo with vegetables, coconut and ginger
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup diced pumpkin or kumarasweet-potatoX (small dice)
- 2 cups green veg, chopped (use peas, courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, spinach – whatever you have)
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX (or equivalent quantity of home-soaked and cooked beans)
- 2 teaspoons garum masala
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriandercilantroX
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons oil
- approx 330ml (1 can) lite coconut cream or lite coconut-flavoured evaporated milk
1 Heat the oil in a large pan and sauté onion and garlic. Add the mustard seeds and cook until they are popping, then add the all the other spices.
2 Mix well and add the tomatoes, stock, vegetables and chickpeas and simmer until all the vegetables are tender; around 50 minutes. Stir in the coconut cream or evaporated milk and serve.
If you can’t find coconut-flavoured evaporated milk, use 3 capfuls (about 15 ml) of coconut essence to 1 can of lite evaporated milk.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5.6g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 6.2g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.