Lamb, date and kumara tagine
(at time of publication)
- oil spray
- 500g diced lean lamb shoulder, fat trimmed
- 2 medium-sized red onions, cut in thin wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g kumarasweet-potatoX, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 4 fresh dates, seeded, halved
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 large courgette, grated
1 Spray a large saucepan with oil and place over a medium-high heat. Cook lamb, stirring, for 7-8 minutes or until browned. Add onions, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened.
2 Add paprika, turmeric and cinnamon sticks. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add tomatoes and 1 cup cold water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
3 Add kumara and dates. Cook uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until lamb is tender and sauce has thickened slightly. Season well with pepper and stir in half the coriander.
4 Meanwhile, place couscous and courgette in a heatproof bowl. Add 1 1/4 cups boiling water. Cover and stand for 5 minutes. Use a fork to fluff couscous grains and season with pepper. Remove cinnamon sticks before serving tagine with couscous. Garnish with the remaining coriander.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us