HFG fish ‘n’ chips
- 1 ¼ cups cornflakes
- 3 tablespoons LSA
- 1 lemon, grated zest
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup wholemeal flour
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 4 x 130g snapper fillets
- 500g orange kumarasweet-potatoX, cut in thick wedges
- 2 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, cut in sticks
- 2 carrots, cut in sticks or 200g parsnips, cut in wedges
- oil spray
- sprinkling of smoked paprika
- Tartare sauce
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise (we used Best Foods)
- 5 tablespoons low-fat plain yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 1 gherkin, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- Citrus salad
- 4 cups watercress
- 4 radishes, sliced thinly
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 orange, peeled, sliced
- 1 lemon, juice
- 2 tablespoons vinaigrette (made with 2 parts vinegar to 1 part olive oil)
1 To make crumbs, place cornflakes in a blender or processor and process until they become fine crumbs. Place in a shallow bowl and mix with LSA, lemon zest and Cajun seasoning. Stir in chopped parsley.
2 Place wholemeal flour and egg whites in separate shallow dishes. Dip fish in flour to coat then in egg white and finally in crumbs. Chill for 30 minutes.
3 While fish is chilling, prepare chips. Cook kumara wedges, courgettes and carrot sticks in batches in the microwave for 2 minutes on high. Transfer to a baking dish and spray with oil. Sprinkle with paprika.
4 Mix tartare sauce ingredients together and chill. Mix salad ingredients together, season and chill.
5 Once ready to cook, preheat oven to 190ºC. Place kumara, courgette and carrot in oven 15 minutes before fish. Place fish on a rack and spray with oil. Add to oven and cook for 20-25 minutes. Re-spray vegetables halfway through cooking.
6 Serve fish with chips, salad and tartare sauce on the side. Garnish with a lemon wedge.
What we did
- Replaced white flour and breadcrumbs with wholemeal flour, LSA and corn flakes to coat fish (reduced carbohydrates and kilojoules; increased fibre)
- Made chips with kumara (added fibre, vitamin C, folate, vitamin A and B vitamins)
- Added courgettes and carrots to our chips (reduced carbohydrates and kilojoules; increased vitamin B3 and vitamin A)
- Based our tartare sauce on a low-fat plain yoghurt rather than a full-fat mayonnaise (reduced saturated fat)
- Added salad (increased health-promoting vegetables
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 20g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 12g
You can chill the crumbed fish for up to 3 hours.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us