Jacket potato with Mexican beef and beans
Time to make: 1 hr 30 mins
( Hands-on time: 20 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
4 large (200g each) brushed potatoes
olive oil spray
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
pinch chilli flakes
200g lean beef mince
400g can no-added-salt kidney beans, rinsed, drained
400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
1/3 cup grated reduced-fat cheddar
1/3 cup low-fat plain yoghurt, to serve
black pepper, to serve
2 cups baby rocketarugulaX, to serve
Total fat 8g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 11g
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Scrub potatoes and pat dry with paper towel. Prick all over with a fork. Wrap each in foil and place on a baking tray and bake for 1 hour, or until soft when pierced with a skewer. Leave cooked potatoes to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray a non-stick frying pan with olive oil and set over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic and spices. Cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add beef mince and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes, or until mince browns.
- To make filling, put beans, tomatoes and 1/3 cup water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Partially cover pan and simmer for 20 minutes, or until filling sauce thickens.
- Unwrap potatoes and discard foil. Score potato tops with a large cross and press sides to split. Spoon filling into potatoes, scatter with cheese and return to oven. Bake for 5-10 more minutes, or until filling is hot and cheese melts.
- Top each potato with a dollop of yoghurt, season with black pepper and serve with rocket.
Make it gluten free: Check spices are gluten free.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us