Braised greens with chickpeas and eggs
Time to make: 50 mins
( Hands-on time: 25 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 6 cups sliced mixed mushrooms
- 2 cups thickly sliced cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen green beans, trimmed
- 1 bunch broccolini, halved lengthways, sliced diagonally, or 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 400g can no-added-salt chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, rinsed and drained
- 1 reduced-salt vegetable stock cube, crumbled
- 4 eggs
- cracked black pepper, to season
- 2 wholemeal Lebanese breads, warmed and halved, to serve
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 15g
- In a large deep frying pan, heat half the oil over medium. Gently fry onion for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic, thyme, chilli and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, for 5–7 minutes or until mushrooms are softened. Remove from pan.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan to medium-high. Cook cabbage, beans and broccolini, stirring for about 3–5 minutes, or until cabbage starts to wilt. Add chickpeas, stock and 1/2 cup water, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, or until greens are tender and the water has reduced slightly. Return the mushroom mixture to pan and stir.
- Meanwhile, half-fill a medium frying pan with water and bring to a simmer. Crack 1 egg carefully into the pan. Cook for 3 minutes, or to your liking. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- Divide greens, mushrooms and any broth among serving bowls. Top with eggs and season with pepper. Serve with warmed breads.
Make it vegan: Omit eggs and check stock and bread are vegan.
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
- (0 / 5)