Braised greens with chickpeas and eggs
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
- 6 cups sliced mixed mushrooms
- 2 cups thickly sliced cabbage
- 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen green beans, trimmed
- 1 bunch broccolini, halved lengthways, sliced diagonally, or 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 400g can no-added-salt chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, rinsed and drained
- 1 reduced-salt vegetable stock cube, crumbled
- 4 eggs
- cracked black pepper, to season
- 2 wholemeal Lebanese breads, warmed and halved, to serve
- In a large deep frying pan, heat half the oil over medium. Gently fry onion for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic, thyme, chilli and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, for 5–7 minutes or until mushrooms are softened. Remove from pan.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan to medium-high. Cook cabbage, beans and broccolini, stirring for about 3–5 minutes, or until cabbage starts to wilt. Add chickpeas, stock and 1/2 cup water, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, or until greens are tender and the water has reduced slightly. Return the mushroom mixture to pan and stir.
- Meanwhile, half-fill a medium frying pan with water and bring to a simmer. Crack 1 egg carefully into the pan. Cook for 3 minutes, or to your liking. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- Divide greens, mushrooms and any broth among serving bowls. Top with eggs and season with pepper. Serve with warmed breads.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 15g
Make it vegan: Omit eggs and check stock and bread are vegan.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us