Lamb, chickpea and fig tagine
- 750g lean lamb, cubed
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small onions, thickly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Moroccan seasoning
- 1 cinnamon stick, bruised
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 courgettezucchiniXszucchini, summer squashX, thickly sliced
- 420g can chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, rinsed
- 125g dried figs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups couscous
1 Place lamb, pepper, onions, garlic, Moroccan seasoning and cinnamon stick in a large saucepan. Add enough water (about 4 cups) to cover lamb. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 1 hour.
2 Add carrots, courgettes, chickpeas and figs to saucepan. Cover and simmer for 30 more minutes. Stir in tomato paste and herbs. Simmer for 5 minutes, uncovered.
3 Meanwhile, place couscous in a large bowl with 2 cups boiling water. Cover and stand for 10 minutes then fluff with a fork. Serve lamb with couscous and garnish with parsley, if preferred.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like