Bibimbap with grilled lamb and kimchi ketchup
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 130g lamb leg steak, diced 2cm (see tips)
- ¾ cup brown rice
- ¼ cup tomato purée
- ¼ cup kimchi
- ½ teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 cups finely sliced Swiss brown mushrooms
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 2 cups roughly chopped gai lan, spinach or silver beet leaves
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- oil spray
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds, to serve
- In a shallow bowl, combine soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil, brown sugar and garlic. Add lamb and stir to coat. Set aside to marinate.
- In a pot, cover rice with 1 cup water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 25 minutes, until rice is tender.
- In a food processor, whizz tomato purée, kimchi and maple syrup, adding enough water to make a ketchup textured sauce.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining teaspoon of sesame oil in a pan over a high heat. Add mushrooms and stir-fry until cooked. Remove from pan and set aside, keeping warm.
- Add carrot to pan and cook, stirring, until tender – about 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Steam or microwave broccoli and gai lan until tender. Remove from steamer or microwave and set aside.
- Remove lamb from marinade. Discard marinade. In a pan, cook lamb over a high heat for 2 minutes, tossing until browned. Remove from pan and set aside, keeping warm.
- Spray pan with oil and fry eggs over a medium-high heat until cooked to your liking.
- To assemble, divide rice between 2 large, wide bowls. Top with vegetables, lamb, kimchi ketchup and egg. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve with extra kimchi, if desired.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 21g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 9g
Make it vegan: Use tofu instead of lamb, omit egg and check kimchi is vegan.
If you’re planning to make Wednesday and Thursday night’s Spicy lamb soup and Kimchi fried rice, cook 2/3 cup extra rice and 2 extra lamb steaks totalling 200g (keep whole and pan fry). Set these aside to make cooking the other dishes quick.
Make extra kimchi ketchup – it will keep in the fridge for two weeks.
This recipe is from our Weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious nutritionist-approved meals for two, for under $82. Just grab the shopping list and you’re ready!
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us