Bibimbap with grilled lamb and kimchi ketchup
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 130g lamb leg steak, diced 2cm (see tips)
- ¾ cup brown rice
- ¼ cup tomato purée
- ¼ cup kimchi
- ½ teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 cups finely sliced Swiss brown mushrooms
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 2 cups roughly chopped gai lan, spinach or silver beet leaves
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- spray oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds, to serve
- In a shallow bowl, combine soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil, brown sugar and garlic. Add lamb and stir to coat. Set aside to marinate.
- In a pot, cover rice with 1 cup water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 25 minutes, until rice is tender.
- In a food processor, whizz tomato purée, kimchi and maple syrup, adding enough water to make a ketchup textured sauce.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining teaspoon of sesame oil in a pan over a high heat. Add mushrooms and stir-fry until cooked. Remove from pan and set aside, keeping warm.
- Add carrot to pan and cook, stirring, until tender – about 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Steam or microwave broccoli and gai lan until tender. Remove from steamer or microwave and set aside.
- Remove lamb from marinade. Discard marinade. In a pan, cook lamb over a high heat for 2 minutes, tossing until browned. Remove from pan and set aside, keeping warm.
- Spray pan with oil and fry eggs over a medium-high heat until cooked to your liking.
- To assemble, divide rice between 2 large, wide bowls. Top with vegetables, lamb, kimchi ketchup and egg. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve with extra kimchi, if desired.
Make it vegan: Use tofu instead of lamb, omit egg and check kimchi is vegan.
If you’re planning to make Wednesday and Thursday night’s Spicy lamb soup and Kimchi fried rice, cook 2/3 cup extra rice and 2 extra lamb steaks totalling 200g (keep whole and pan fry). Set these aside to make cooking the other dishes quick.
Make extra kimchi ketchup – it will keep in the fridge for two weeks.
This recipe is from our Weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious nutritionist-approved meals for two, for under $82. Just grab the shopping list and you’re ready!
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 21g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.