Lemon, pea and broccoli pilafReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely grated zest of lemon
- 1 cup (220g) basmati rice
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 ½ cups liquid salt-reduced vegetable stock
- ½ large head broccoli (about 350g), trimmed, cut in florets
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
1 Set a large saucepan (that has a lid) over a medium heat. Add oil and heat. Add onion and celery. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add garlic and lemon zest. Cook, stirring, for 1 more minute.
2 Add rice. Stir to coat. Add wine. Simmer until almost evaporated. Add stock with 1 cup water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover with lid and simmer for 12 minutes. Add broccoli and peas then cover and simmer for 3 more minutes. Remove from heat, cover and leave to steam for 2-3 more minutes.
3 Add parsley to rice, season with black pepper and fluff with a fork. Garnish with almonds and serve.
- To include meat, add 400g of thinly sliced chicken breast with the onion at step 1.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free stock.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information