Mushroom and herb shepherd’s pie
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1kg mixed mushrooms (see tips)
- 500g potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 500g orange kumarasweet-potatoX, peeled, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, bruised
- ½ cup trim milk
- ½ cup grated reduced-fat cheddar
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, trimmed, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flourall purpose flourX
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt
- soy sauce
- ½ cup frozen peas
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 11g
1 Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil over a high heat.
2 Meanwhile, in a large non-stick frying pan heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high. Cook half of the mixed mushrooms, stirring, for 5-7 minutes, or until golden and tender. Remove from pan. Repeat with another 2 teaspoons of the oil and the remaining mushrooms.
3 In the saucepan of boiling water, place potatoes, kumara and garlic. Boil for 10-12 minutes, or until tender. Drain well and return potato mixture to pan. Add milk and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Mash until almost smooth. Stir in cheese and three-quarters of the shallots.
4 Meanwhile, in frying pan used for the mushrooms heat remaining oil over medium. Cook onion, celery and carrot, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes, or until vegetables soften. Add flour, rosemary and half of the thyme. Stir to coat. Add tomatoes, stock, soy sauce and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer mixture, uncovered, for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Stir in frozen peas.
5 Preheat grill to high. Transfer mushroom mixture to a baking dish. Top with mash, spreading roughly over the surface. Grill for 10 minutes, or until mash browns slightly. Serve pie sprinkled with remaining shallots and thyme.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour and check stock and soy sauce are gluten free.
Make it vegan: Use soy or almond milk and Angelfood or Zenzo cheddar. Check vegetable stock is vegan.
We used 300g halved Swiss brown mushrooms along with 300g small whole button mushrooms and 400g portobello mushrooms, cut into thick slices. Cut the mushrooms as thick or as fine as you like. Leave some whole to create a chunky texture.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.