Leek and courgette quiche
- spray oil
- 1 sheet (150g) frozen reduced-fat shortcrust pastry, partially thawed
- 1 medium-sized leek, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 medium-sized courgettezucchiniXszucchini, summer squashX, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¾ cup (150g) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup (60ml) skim milk
- 50g crumbled feta cheese
- micro-herbs or sprouts, to garnish
- 8 cups salad greens, to serve
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, to serve
1 Preheat oven to 200ºC. Lightly spray a 22cm quiche dish or fluted tin with oil. Line with pastry and trim.
2 Place pastry case dish on a baking tray. Cover pastry with baking paper and fill with uncooked rice, dried beans or pie weights. Bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove weights and paper and bake for 5 minutes or until pastry is golden.
3 Meanwhile, place a medium-sized saucepan over a medium heat and spray with oil. Add leek and courgettes. Cook, covered (stirring occasionally) for 15-20 minutes or until very soft. Add 1-2 tablespoons water to help cooking. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Cook off excess liquid. Turn off heat. Stir in ricotta and spoon into pastry case.
4 Whisk eggs and milk in jug until combined. Pour over leek mixture. Sprinkle with feta. Bake for 30 minutes or until filling is set. Allow dish to stand for 5 minutes before cutting in quarters to serve. Garnish with micro-herbs. Serve with green salad with balsamic drizzle.
- You could make this a ‘crust-free’ quiche by omitting the pastry.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pastry.
Makeover! You save…
23g total fat
12g sat fat
What we did
- Reduced the amount of oil used by using oil spray
- Used reduced-fat pastry
- Used trim milk and reduced-fat ricotta cheese instead of cream
- Used a small amount of feta cheese
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 17g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 4g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like