- 1 cup diced unpeeled orange kumarasweet-potatoX
- 1 cup diced peeled pumpkin
- 1 cup sliced unpeeled carrot
- 1 cup diced unpeeled potato
- 375ml can Carnation Light & Creamy coconut flavoured Evaporated Milk
- 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Place the kumara, pumpkin, carrot and potato in a large pot. Add 3 cups water, cover and cook until boiled. Reduce the heat to the minimum and cook for another 30 minutes.
2 Switch off the stove, remove the lid and wait 15 minutes for the soup to cool down. Blitz it with a hand blender until smooth. Add the coconut-flavoured evaporated milk.
3 Carefully peel the top layer of the orange skin, leaving the white skin on the fruit. Cut the orange in half and hand-squeeze the juice into the pot. Stir. Pour into 4 bowls. Decorate with the chopped parsley and orange zest or slices. Serve with wholegrain bread.
Serve with seed bread or with toasted cheese sandwiches made from sourdough bread.
- For a spicier version, add 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds or 1/2 teaspoon ginger to the pot before boiling.
- A spoonful of reduced-fat yoghurt placed on top of each bowl adds to the appearance as well as the flavour.
- You can use good-quality reduced-salt stock instead of water.
- If you don’t like the taste of coconut, use unflavoured low-fat evaporated milk.
- Boiling a bay leaf in the soup will give it a subtle flavour and aroma. Remember to throw away the leaf after cooking.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 2g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 4g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.