Pan-fried chicken with parsnip bubble ‘n’ squeak
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 2 rashers rindless short-cut bacon, finely chopped
- 2 cups shredded savoy cabbage
- 1 medium-sized parsnip, peeled, grated
- 1 1/2 cups mashed cooked potato
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1 cup fresh wholegrain breadcrumbs
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- oil spray
- 2 x 200g chicken breast fillets, halved horizontally
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint, plus extra, to garnish
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
Total fat 15g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 6g
1 Place a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Cook bacon, cabbage and parsnip, stirring, for 5-7 minutes or until tender. Add potato and curry powder. Roughly mash mixture with a fork. Set aside to cool. Stir in breadcrumbs and egg white.
2 Using 1/4 cup mixture at a time, shape mixture into 12 patties. Place frying pan over a medium-high heat and spray with oil. Cook patties for 3 minutes on each side or until golden and cooked through. Remove from pan and cover to keep warm.
3 Cook chicken in the same pan for 8-10 minutes, turning, until browned all over and cooked through.
4 Combine yoghurt, lime juice and mint in a small bowl. Serve chicken with yoghurt, patties and salad greens with blended oil and vinegar dressing. Garnish with the remaining mint.
- Try serving bubble ‘n’ squeak with steak or pork instead of chicken. And instead of mint, garnish with fresh basil or oregano.
- Make it vegetarian: Bubble ‘n’ squeak is an age-old dish traditionally made with leftovers. Replace bacon with grated carrot or chopped leftover cooked carrots and/or peas.
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
- (0 / 5)
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us