Pan-fried chicken with parsnip bubble ‘n’ squeak
(at time of publication)
- 2 rashers rindless short-cut bacon, finely chopped
- 2 cups shredded savoy cabbage
- 1 medium-sized parsnip, peeled, grated
- 1 ½ cups mashed cooked potato
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1 cup fresh wholegrain breadcrumbs
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- oil spray
- 2 x 200g chicken breast fillets, halved horizontally
- ½ cup reduced-fat Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint, plus extra, to garnish
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
1 Place a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Cook bacon, cabbage and parsnip, stirring, for 5-7 minutes or until tender. Add potato and curry powder. Roughly mash mixture with a fork. Set aside to cool. Stir in breadcrumbs and egg white.
2 Using 1/4 cup mixture at a time, shape mixture into 12 patties. Place frying pan over a medium-high heat and spray with oil. Cook patties for 3 minutes on each side or until golden and cooked through. Remove from pan and cover to keep warm.
3 Cook chicken in the same pan for 8-10 minutes, turning, until browned all over and cooked through.
4 Combine yoghurt, lime juice and mint in a small bowl. Serve chicken with yoghurt, patties and salad greens with blended oil and vinegar dressing. Garnish with the remaining mint.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 6g
- Try serving bubble ‘n’ squeak with steak or pork instead of chicken. And instead of mint, garnish with fresh basil or oregano.
- Make it vegetarian: Bubble ‘n’ squeak is an age-old dish traditionally made with leftovers. Replace bacon with grated carrot or chopped leftover cooked carrots and/or peas.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us