Pumpkin curryReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- ½ pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriandercilantroX
- garam masala - start with a teaspoon and add more if you like
- 1 can coconut milk (lite if preferred)
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
1 In a large saucepan, sauté onion, garlic and spices in oil.
2 Add coconut milk and chopped pumpkin. Bring to the boil and simmer until pumpkin is tender and sauce is reduced.
3 Serve with rice and accompaniments. Traditional curry accompaniments include chutney, coconut, sliced banana and poppadums.
4 Style it up with a sprinkle of fresh chopped coriander and some cashew nuts or eat it as is, with rice or rolled in flatbread.
- Add chopped nuts for some ‘scrunch’ if you like or include chicken or seafood.
- If you have them, cooked chickpeas will add interesting texture and round out the protein values in this dish.
Curry paste can be used in place of dry spices in this dish. Freeze small quantities of curry paste in plastic wrap to add Indian zing to soups, vegetable dishes and dips.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9.7g
–Saturated fat 1.7g
Dietary fibre 3.7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information