Savoury porridge with courgette, parmesan, rocket and poached egg
(at time of publication)
- ¾ cup (85g) wholegrain rolled oatsoatmeal uncookedX
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium courgette, trimmed, grated
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives, plus extra to garnish
- 2 eggs
- 40g baby rocketarugulaX
1 Place oats in a medium non-stick saucepan with water; stir, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, stirring gently from time to time, for 10—12 minutes or so, or until the oats have a thick and creamy consistency. Add grated courgette in the last five minutes of cooking time. Stir through the parmesan and chopped chives.
2 Bring a frying pan of water to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Use a large spoon to make a whirlpool. Then carefully crack the eggs, one at a time, into the centre of the whirlpool and poach for three minutes for a soft yolk, or until cooked to your liking. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
3 Divide the porridge between two serving bowls; top with rocket and a poached egg, and garnish with extra chives.
Three nutritious reasons to try savoury oats:
- Oats are high in soluble fibre and have a low GI, giving you long-lasting energy.
- They help fight off hunger, especially with added protein, such as a perfectly poached egg or a cube of feta.
- Adding leafy greens helps increase your daily serves of all-important veges.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us