Savoury porridge with courgette, parmesan, rocket and poached egg
- ¾ cup (85g) wholegrain rolled oatsoatmeal uncookedX
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium courgette, trimmed, grated
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives, plus extra to garnish
- 2 eggs
- 40g baby rocketarugulaX
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Place oats in a medium non-stick saucepan with water; stir, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, stirring gently from time to time, for 10—12 minutes or so, or until the oats have a thick and creamy consistency. Add grated courgette in the last five minutes of cooking time. Stir through the parmesan and chopped chives.
2 Bring a frying pan of water to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Use a large spoon to make a whirlpool. Then carefully crack the eggs, one at a time, into the centre of the whirlpool and poach for three minutes for a soft yolk, or until cooked to your liking. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
3 Divide the porridge between two serving bowls; top with rocket and a poached egg, and garnish with extra chives.
Three nutritious reasons to try savoury oats:
- Oats are high in soluble fibre and have a low GI, giving you long-lasting energy.
- They help fight off hunger, especially with added protein, such as a perfectly poached egg or a cube of feta.
- Adding leafy greens helps increase your daily serves of all-important veges.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.