Savoury porridge with courgette, parmesan, rocket and poached egg
(at time of publication)
- ¾ cup (85g) wholegrain rolled oatsoatmeal uncookedX
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium courgette, trimmed, grated
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives, plus extra to garnish
- 2 eggs
- 40g baby rocketarugulaX
1 Place oats in a medium non-stick saucepan with water; stir, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, stirring gently from time to time, for 10—12 minutes or so, or until the oats have a thick and creamy consistency. Add grated courgette in the last five minutes of cooking time. Stir through the parmesan and chopped chives.
2 Bring a frying pan of water to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Use a large spoon to make a whirlpool. Then carefully crack the eggs, one at a time, into the centre of the whirlpool and poach for three minutes for a soft yolk, or until cooked to your liking. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
3 Divide the porridge between two serving bowls; top with rocket and a poached egg, and garnish with extra chives.
Three nutritious reasons to try savoury oats:
- Oats are high in soluble fibre and have a low GI, giving you long-lasting energy.
- They help fight off hunger, especially with added protein, such as a perfectly poached egg or a cube of feta.
- Adding leafy greens helps increase your daily serves of all-important veges.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information