Raspberry-swirl bread with vanilla bean icing
- 1 cup warm water (35ºC - just a little warmer than your touch)
- 21g fresh yeast or 2 teaspoons active-dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup almond flour/meal
- 1 cup gluten-free cornflourcornstarchX
- 1 cup (135g) brown rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca starch/flour
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (70g) icingfrostingX sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature, beaten
- ½ cup (70g) good quality raspberry jamjellyX
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries (if frozen, thaw then drain)
- ½ cup icingfrostingX sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat spread, softened
- 2 tablespoons rice, soy or almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
1 Place warm water in a small bowl. Crumble fresh yeast (pour in if using dry) into water then sprinkle sugar over and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
2 In a large bowl place the remaining dry ingredients and mix well. Add eggs and yeast mixture to dry ingredients. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Shape into a large ball and cover with a towel or plastic wrap. Place in a warm (25ºC plus), draft-free spot for 1 hour or until nearly doubled in size.
3 In the meantime, lightly grease a 22cm round or square baking dish. Once dough has risen, gently make a hollow in the middle of the dough. Add jam and berries to hollow. Fold the 2 sides of hollow over to seal in the filling and knead lightly to spread filling in the dough. Handle as little as possible.
4 Place in prepared baking dish. Cover again and leave to rise in a warm spot for 30 minutes (while oven preheats). Preheat oven to 190ºC. Once oven is hot, bake bread for 20-25 minutes until firm to the touch. Remove from oven and rest for at least 10 minutes before removing from dish.
5 To make icing, mix icing sugar with spread until well combined. Add rice milk and vanilla. Mix until mixture is smooth. Drizzle over cool loaf.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 2g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.