HFG potato bake
- olive oil spray
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 medium potatoes, unpeeled, very thinly sliced (about 2-3mm)
- ¾ cup trim milk
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Spray a non-stick pan with oil. Heat over a medium heat. Gently cook onions and garlic until softened and slightly brown.
2 Spray a large baking dish with oil. Place potato slices in a layer in the bottom of the dish, slightly overlapping at the edges. Place a third of the onion mixture over the top, then repeat with layers of potato and onion, until everything is used up. Pour milk over.
3 Place in oven and cook for 25 minutes, covered in foil. Remove from oven and sprinkle over parmesan and thyme. Return to oven, uncovered, for 10 more minutes, or until cheese is melted and crispy.
What we did
- Removed the cream and cheese: Scalloped potatoes or potatoes daphinoise is often made with cream and cheese layers. This isn’t necessary to get the cheesy flavour because when the milk cooks in this dish, curds separate and become cheesy and tasty.
- Left the potato skin on: This boosts the nutrients and fibre.
- Added onion, garlic and thyme: These add lots of tasty flavour without adding fat.
- Used a strong cheese: parmesan is a highly flavoured cheese which means you don’t need to use very much to get lots of great taste.
Traditional potato bake (per serve)
Total energy 1370kJ
Total fat 21g (13g saturated fat)
HFG potato bake (per serve)
Total energy 650kJ
Total fat 3g (1g saturated fat)
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 3g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 3g
- Instead of onions, use field mushrooms, and add a dash of nutmeg.
- Layer sliced Brussels sprouts between the potatoes.
- Use pumpkin or kumara instead of some of the potatoes.
- Try different vegetables such as parsnips or celeriac instead of potatoes.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us